Wednesday, September 10, 2008
'I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!' - Alice/Alice in Wonderland/Lewis Carroll
Things to slip through my fingers, like they don't really exist, or at least in my dimension. They don't stay because I don't know whether I want them to. Life feels pretty surreal now. I don't feel any sense of purpose. I don't think, 'in ten years' time I shall be...' because I have no idea. I wish I was like Alice. Not this particular Alice in Wonderland but Alice Cullen. Haha.
But enough of the bibbidi-bobbidi-boo.
A few days ago I purchased a copy of Oscar Wilde's novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray. You see, the bookstore was carrying this collection of vintage classics with the prettiest covers ever and I knew I had to make one of them mine. I spent a long time picking which to buy. Sense and Sensibility? My sister has her copy and I could always sneak it away... Moby Dick? I do not want to read about whales being speared viciously by hairy sailors. Wuthering Heights? The cover was so pretty but I already had a copy :) Dracula? Hmmm...I flipped through the book and it didn't really interest me. And I prefer the Twilight breed of vamps. In the end it was the choice between Dorian Gray and The Scarlet Letter. The Scarlet Letter rang a couple of bells but I'm not sure where. It sounded like a pretty scandalous book though, which I like. Dorian Gray, Dorian Gray.... It was thin so score one if it turned out to be a bore.
It is a very strange book. It has three men who may be in a love triangle (well, Wilde engaged in some same-side-lovin', so I sorta expected it) and a painting which takes on its sitter's sins and ageing.
But imagine my excitement when I learnt that Ben Barnes will be playing Dorian Gray. hurray for an evil prince caspian! He will probably snog Rachel Hurd-Wood though. Basically the character is a good-natured, angelic dude in the beginning. He is very good-looking - beautiful, indeed - and an artist insists on painting a bonafide portrait of him. Dorian Gray gets corrupted by a psycho english lord and somehow his wish that he will never lose his beauty and youth gets granted. He uses it for his personal gain and becomes this horrible, cruel immortal. He does die in the end, albeit horridly. In the book, DG has blonde hair and blue eyes but blue eyes can't do evil like oddly dark ones like Ben's.
i thought the world of you
10:40 PM